Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Circle of Life

Today I came to pick Maddie up from pre-school only to find that her teacher was not there. She had been there this morning when I dropped Maddie off though. We've only been going there to pre-school about 2 1/2 months, but Miss. D. has never not been there. Her teachers' aid was leading the class which surprised me. So, I asked one of the other teachers if she was okay only to find out that her father had passed away earlier that morning.

My heart just breaks for Miss D. and her family right now. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to lose your father. I don't know details or any other information, I can only hope that he is now up in Heaven with his Father.

Miss D. is honestly the most genuinely happy person that I know. She enjoys her job and truly loves and cares for those little 3 year olds like no one else can. She is wonderful at what she does and we fell in love with her from the first day Maddie stepped foot in her class. She asks me every day how I am doing and waits intently for my reply. Today I had had a hard morning getting Maddie up and dressed (she did not want to wear the striped shirt! although she had a choice of 2 outfits). She whined all the way there that she didn't want to go, blah, blah, blah. I just tuned it out today. So, of course when Miss D. asked how I was doing I unloaded on her a bit about how much of a struggle I'm having with Maddie. In true Miss. D style she had a positive thing to say and told me what a good job I was doing. Some days I feel like she is my personal cheerleader, cheering me on to be the best mommy I can be. Not once did I detect anything was wrong with her nor did she unload any of her problems on me or the kids (Maddie had no clue why Miss. D went home early today). Now I'm feeling a bit guilty about not asking her how her day was going and not being able to give her a positive word when she could really use it.

So, I'm a bit down today thinking of the loved ones in my family that have already passed and the few others who are to follow. Makes me want to squeeze my girls a little harder today and shower them with extra kisses. Our lives are too short not to be happy and content with what God has given us. Not typically being an overly happy person myself, I think I will make it my goal throughout the Holidays and the coming year to work on that part of my life. I have so much to be thankful for and need to show it more to those around me.

If only there were more Miss. D's in the world.
We Love you Miss. D.!!!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I am sorry to hear about Maddie's teacher's family. How sad.

Oh, and you ARE a great Mommy! I know I will be calling you LOTS when Wes arrives. love you!